Tag Archives: Brooke
Brooke has been in the process of potty training for about 6 months now. We’re pretty laid back about it but that doesn’t mean we haven’t had our share of frustrations with it. Which leads me to:
5 Things I Would Have Never Guessed About Potty Training
- It can be just as messy as diapers. I don’t know what made me think that the mere shift from a diaper to a pull-up would make changing time any cleaner. It’s not.
- Speaking of pull-ups….why exactly are they more expensive than regular diapers? And they don’t seem to ever be part of my favorite deal at Babies R Us that gives you gift cards when you buy jumbo boxes. I’d been planning to build a stash of cloth diapers for our next baby and started early so that we can cloth diaper at home and only buy pull-ups for school.
- You spend a lot more time on the bathroom floor. I seriously didn’t clock this much time sitting on the bathroom floor since my morning sickness and college party days combined. Nothing prepared me for the fact that Brooke was going to view her potty time as a social event. Heaven knows I’m waiting until I can go uninterrupted again!!
- Public bathrooms are even more disgusting. They were bad before but I didn’t think about it much. Now that I find myself squeezing into a stall with Brooke, holding her on the seat, trying to get her re-dressed with minimal floor-touching, hoisting her up to the sink to wash her hands I am in a continuous . Icky Icky!! When we remember to bring it along, this portable potty seat is really handy though!
- How many times we’ d have to interrupt dinner to race her to the potty. Really, how does her body clock seem to know when I’ve just taken a huge bite and she’s just stuck her hands in cottage cheese?
I realize potty training is just a phase and this too shall pass. Until then, I gotta keep my sense of humor about it all, right?
The meal plan for the week has long flew out the window. In my defense, it was not for lacking of trying! Monday I had not anticpated a stop at CVS for a prescription to take close to an hour. After trying to keep Brooke occupied there that long, there was no time or energy for dinner preparations. Daddy brought home Wendy’s. Fast forward to last night when I had planned to just slide Monday’s dinner of Spaghetti and Meatballs into Tuesday’s slot. That was until I turned the faucet to get Brooke a drink of water and realized the City was still working outside on a water pipe issue and our water was turned off. So much for making pasta! My confession is I probably could have come up with an alternative but at that point, I gave up!! Last night became pizza! pizza! night at our house and Keith picked up Little Ceasar’s on the way home.
My favorite quote is by John Lennon…”Life is what happens to while you’re busy making other plans”. I’m going to keep meal planning but when things don’t work out according to plan, I just gotta go with it!
Now, on to Working Mommy Wednesday!!!
We had a choice of writing about our favorite or most annoying celebrity or write from our child’s perspective of a time when they had to wonder what the heck her Mom was thinking. I chose the latter.
Last February in an act of homesick desparation, Brooke and I made the trip back to my hometown in Michigan to visit family & friends. The February before that I swore that I would NOT be visiting February again. I like my Texas winters for a reason!! As mentioned earlier though, I was really homesick so off we went!!
Now Brooke is a native Texan and this would be her first encounter with a Michigan winter. So of course everyone was excited to see her reaction to the cold and most importantly, snow!!
One of the last nights of our trip we got Brooke all bundled up and plopped her down on the snow. I wanted to get pictures so my dad helped her stand up in the snow which was that really crunchy kind that doesn’t really give under your feet. Standing wasn’t really working too well so we sat her down and I’m sure her butt must have instantly frozen!! She looked at me with this pitiful face and after a couple more pictures (I’ll admit it!) we headed back inside. I can only imagine what she must have been thinking and I know she had to wonder what I was thinking…
Brooke is 20 months old today. Time is flying while we’re having fun!!
She started a little slow but she has been consistently adding new words to her vocabulary. We’re not sure whether to attribute that to her new daycare (which we love!) or if something just clicked for her and she was finally ready. Some favorite words: hi, bye bye, puppy, Sheed, up, sit, baby, nose, ball, shoes, Daddy, Mama…I’m sure I’m forgetting some.
In addition to speaking new words, she’s learning new signs at daycare as well. She pretty consistently signs "Thank you" without prompting and is getting better with "please". She’s so polite!! “More”, “milk”, & “eat” get lots of usage around our house too.
She’s recently become obsessed with books and reading. She is always coming up to one of us with a book or two in her hand and telling us to “sit”. It’s hard to say no to that! On a typical night she takes 3-4 books to bed with her and will read them until she gets tired and finally lays down to go to sleep.
The little things she picks up on just blow our mind. She noticed that I slap my thigh when I call Sheed so now she does it too. Combined with how she says “Sheed”, its pretty adorable.
Birds have become a favorite “animal”. She points them out just about anywhere we are. One day on the way home from school she spotted a bird in a tree while we were stopped at a traffic light. Man was she mad at me when the light turned green and I started to drive away. I even changed her My Pal Violet settings to say her favorite animal is a “bird” and she gets excited to hear Violet say it.
Its been so fun to watch our little sponge soak up everything around her. I can’t believe she’s only 4 months from being a 2 year old!!!
I’ve had lots of stuff I’ve wanted to post about but typing is still a bit tough on my hand. I am SO counting down the days until these stitches come out!! (5, ugh!)
What’s in Brooke’s hand in that picture you ask? (Too bad if you didn’t) It’s sunscreen and since May is Melanoma Prevention and Early Detection Month she probably wants to make sure you wear YOUR sunscreen of at least SPF 30 when you are going to be out in the sun.