Brooke has been in the process of potty training for about 6 months now. We’re pretty laid back about it but that doesn’t mean we haven’t had our share of frustrations with it. Which leads me to:
5 Things I Would Have Never Guessed About Potty Training
- It can be just as messy as diapers. I don’t know what made me think that the mere shift from a diaper to a pull-up would make changing time any cleaner. It’s not.
- Speaking of pull-ups….why exactly are they more expensive than regular diapers? And they don’t seem to ever be part of my favorite deal at Babies R Us that gives you gift cards when you buy jumbo boxes. I’d been planning to build a stash of cloth diapers for our next baby and started early so that we can cloth diaper at home and only buy pull-ups for school.
- You spend a lot more time on the bathroom floor. I seriously didn’t clock this much time sitting on the bathroom floor since my morning sickness and college party days combined. Nothing prepared me for the fact that Brooke was going to view her potty time as a social event. Heaven knows I’m waiting until I can go uninterrupted again!!
- Public bathrooms are even more disgusting. They were bad before but I didn’t think about it much. Now that I find myself squeezing into a stall with Brooke, holding her on the seat, trying to get her re-dressed with minimal floor-touching, hoisting her up to the sink to wash her hands I am in a continuous . Icky Icky!! When we remember to bring it along, this portable potty seat is really handy though!
- How many times we’ d have to interrupt dinner to race her to the potty. Really, how does her body clock seem to know when I’ve just taken a huge bite and she’s just stuck her hands in cottage cheese?
I realize potty training is just a phase and this too shall pass. Until then, I gotta keep my sense of humor about it all, right?