Not Me Monday – Burn Baby Burn!

Welcome to Not Me! Monday! This blog carnival was created by MckMama. You can head over to her blog to read what she and everyone else have not been doing this week.

No, I did NOT almost burn the kitchen down twice in two weeks.  Not me!!!

The first time was really no big deal…I think some food got left behind on the burner and it ignited.  I put a pot lid on top and it was quickly snuffed out.  I was pretty proud of myself for not panicking and it had even slipped my mind when I was updating Keith on my daily highlights while he was out of town.

Then there was Saturday afternoon…I had multiple things going on in the kitchen.  Munch had helped me make scrambled eggs for breakfast so I had mess leftover from that.  I had put a couple turkey roasts in the crockpot.  I had emptied and re-filled the dishwasher.  What seemed like all of the sudden, it was time for lunch.  I decided on quick-and-easy mac n’ cheese from a box.  Set the water on the back burner to boil and went to living room to check on Munch.  As I’m walking back to the kitchen, I realize something smells funny.  Turn the corner to see flames springing up from the cutting board that was sitting on the front burner!!  I had set it there while Munch and I were making breakfast to get a little more workspace on the counter.  A great tip except when you have a brain-fart and turn on the wrong burner!!

This fire had me a little more panicked.  Munch was awake and underfoot.  There were some decent flames and the smoke alarm was squealing at me.  I couldn’t snuff it out so I needed to come up with an new idea..FAST!!!  First things first, I grabbed a baby gate and locked Munch & the dog in the living room.  Opened up the patio door to get some fresh air in and let the smoke out.  Then I had to figure out how to get the big piece of flaming wood to stop burning and/or out of the house.  I carefully lifted the cutting board off the burner.  Slowly the flames directly on the burner died out.  I carried the cutting board toward the patio door and dropped it onto the ground.  What was a dreary, wet, rainy day turned out to be great for me.  It quickly put out the fire on the cutting board and everything was flame-free!!

It took the rest of the day to get the campsite smell out but everyone was safe and I believe I’ll be a little more diligent when it comes to cooking on the stove!!

Advertisements

4 Comments

Filed under Life Happens

4 responses to “Not Me Monday – Burn Baby Burn!

  1. Keith

    Wish there was an emoticon for a shaking my head in a “no” fashion. 🙂

  2. mom

    Been there and done similar things. Just glad you are all fine——Scares the heck right out of you and you always wonder how you managed to do it in the first place. If you’re anything like me it seems I always have had to learn things the hard way. Dang–
    Take care and stay safe.

  3. WOW that was a close call! I’ve never had that happen to me, but then again, I don’t cook! I do remember being about 10, though, and my mom left her purse on a burner and it caught fire. A burning leather purse… it smelled like a dead cow in our home for weeks.

    ~Elizabeth

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s